Is your heartbeat connected directly to the tachometer?
Then the S 1000 R is the Roadster for you – stripped down to the essential, but maximized for pure riding fun. Its aggressive engine with 165 hp/121 kW will put a smile on your face every time it revs up. And the rich sound of the new HP titanium rear silencer leaves no doubt: that’s how life on the fast lane is supposed to sound.
Adrenaline on two wheels. The design.
Some call it naked, we just call it concentrating on the bare essentials. The genes of its sister, the S 1000 RR, are quite obvious: an aggressive tail-up/nose-down design, a distinctive split-face and characteristic gills. The greatly reduced side trim panel and precise colouring make it clear: the power delivery isn’t the only thing here that’s pure and uncompromising. Three colours underscore the character of the bike: motorsport, Catalano grey and Racing red/Black storm metallic.
The source of all dynamics: the engine.
The high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine, just like the rear, stems from the RR. With EU4 and the new noise regulation, its performance has been increased to 165 HP/121 kW. For an extremely linear torque and constant forward propulsion across the entire engine speed range.
E-Gas lets you meter out this power even more precisely. And the race-tested Pro shift assistant lets you shift up and down without using the clutch: for more dynamics and shorter response times – welcome to the borderland.
Room for adjustments. The equipment.
As standard, it offers you two driving modes: Rain and Road. “Rain” provides a gentle throttle response, with ABS and ASC adapted to wet road surfaces. Meanwhile, “Road” optimises throttle response, ABS and ASC for dry asphalt.
Optionally, you can have two additional modes: Dynamic and Dynamic Pro. Then ABS Pro provides you perfect delay even when leaning, DTC, launch control and the pit lane limiter. The Dynamic Pro user mode also allows custom settings. So there is really only one limit: your own personal one.
Uncompromisingly sensible. The individualisation options.
For your insatiable hunger for curves, there are two packages with special accessories. The Sport package lives up to its promises. It provides the Pro shift assistant, cruise control and the Pro driving mode, including the Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes, DTC, ABS Pro, pit lane limiter and launch control. The Dynamic package, on the other hand, includes the electronic chassis DDC, heated grips, LED turn indicators and the engine spoiler.
And with the HP forged wheels, your bike weighs a whole 2.4 kg less than the series, but has much more character.
|Type||Water/oil-cooled 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts|
|Bore x stroke||80 mm x 49.7 mm|
|Rated output||121 kW (165 hp) at 11,000 rpm|
|Max. torque||114 Nm bei 9,250 rpm|
|Compression ratio||12.1 : 1|
|Mixture control / engine management||Electronic injection|
|Emission control||Emission standard EU-4, HP Slip on Titanium-Silencer|
|Performance / fuel consumption|
|Maximum speed||over 200 km/h|
|Consumption w.r.t WMTC for 100km||6,7 l|
|Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h||5.6 l|
|Fuel type||Super (perium) unleaded, octane number 95 – 98 (RON) (knock control; rated output at 98 RON)|
|Battery||12 V / 9 Ah, maintenance-free|
|Clutch||Multiplate cluth in oil bath, anti-hopping clutch, mechanically controlled|
|Gearbox||Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox, straight-toothed|
|Chassis / brakes|
|Frame||Aluminium composite bridge frame, partially self-supporting engine|
|Front wheel location / suspension||Upside-down telescopic fork Ø 46 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable|
|Rear wheel location / suspension||Aluminium 2-sided swing arm, rebound damping adjustable|
|Suspension travel front / rear||120 mm / 120 mm|
|Steering head angle||65.2°|
|Wheels||Cast aluminium wheels|
|Rim, front||3.50 x 17″|
|Rim, rear||6.00 x 17″|
|Tyres, front||120/70 ZR 17|
|Tyres, rear||190/55 ZR 17|
|Brake, front||Twin disc brake, floating brake calipers, radial 4-piston fixed caliper, diameter 320 mm, 5 mm thick|
|Brake, rear||Single disc brake, single piston floating caliper, diameter 220 mm, 5 mm thick|
|ABS||BMW Motorrad Race ABS (part-integral), disengageable|
|Dimensions / weights|
|Width (incl. mirrors)||845 mm|
|Height (excl. mirrors)||1,228 mm|
|Seat height, unladen weight||814 mm|
|Inner leg curve, unladen weight||1,805 mm|
|Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1)||207 kg|
|Permitted total weight||407 kg|
|Payload (with standard equipment)||202 kg|
|Usable tank volume||17.5 l|
|Reserve||app. 4 l|
Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
1) According to Directive 93/93/EEC with all fluids, fuelled to at least 90% of usable fuel tank
HP footrest system
The CNC-milled HP footrest system does not just look aesthetically pleasing, but is highly functional, too. Numerous adjustment options meet a rider’s every wish when it comes to ergonomics and sporting character.
• CNC-milled HP footrest system
• High-strength aluminium alloy, light and extremely dimensionally stable, three-colour anodised
• Numerous possibilities for adjusting footrests, brake lever, shift lever and shift travel
• Optimum custom ergonomics translate into enormous increase in both comfort and safety
• Including Carbon heel guard
• Detailed instructions for ergonomics settings
• Optional: HP passenger footrest
HP Carbon wind deflector
The High Performance parts exude an air of high performance: carbon parts – the ultimate lightweight material – combining good looks with technical know-how.
• The classy carbon wind deflector underlines the sporty appearance
• High-quality alternative to the fitted as standard, black wind deflector
• Shape identical to the standard part
HP titanium exhaust system
• Complete high-performance system by Akrapovič (manifold, interim pipe and rear silencer)
• Made entirely of titanium (mantle, connecting pipe and interior structure)
• Carbon cap
• Significant weight reduction as compared to standard part (approx. 5.7 kg).
• Increased torque especially in the medium engine speed range, output at level of standard equipment
• Specially adapted data status for engine control unit: Enabling via code in diagnosis system (only by BMW Motorrad partner), geared towards performance enhancement allowing for exhaust gas purification by means of catalytic converter and control of exhaust flaps to reduce noise, impact on engine control (incl. injection quantity, ignition timing) and support from DTC system, engine control: full engine power is available in all modes. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC): DTC settings as for standard but the regulation response is different (see installation instructions for details), ABS settings are the same as the standard regulation response settings. Note: This data status may only be used in conjunction with the HP titanium exhaust system
• Optimum, very finely tuned throttle response in all modes
• Visual enhancement
• Installation and enabling only by BMW Motorrad partner, installation instruction on the RSD (Repair and Service Data BMW Motorrad) DVD
• Optional: HP Carbon holder (for passenger footrest system)
HP Carbon hub cap, front
• Replaces the standard plastic hub cap
HP Carbon hub cap, rear
• Replaces the standard plastic hub cap
• Including installation instructions
HP Carbon fuel tank trim
• Replaces the standard plastic fuel tank trim
HP Carbon airbox cover
• Replaces the standard airbox cover
HP Carbon chain guard
• Replaces the standard plastic chain guard
• Including installation instructions
HP shift assistant
• Allows upshifts without using the clutch
• Available as an optional extra, retrofit technically possible